RE: birdseed, raccoons

As usual, I'm days behind in reading my e-mail, but I wanted to mention that
safflower seed is nearly hull-less and the squirrels don't like it quite as
well as sunflower seeds.  The birds don't show a preference, so I buy it
when I see it available. Oh, Auralie, I read that grackles and starlings
don't like it!  http://www.hummzinger.biz/safflower-seed.htm

I kind of like the idea of sharing the environment with whatever wildlife we
get.  I'm not happy when the rabbits nibble off the tops of my tulips or the
raccoons eat the giant snails in my tub garden, but I figure that they were
here first!  I try to adapt without doing harm.  Luckily, no deer have found
their way here (even though they are on an estate only a mile away). If all
my pots were being dug up every night, I'm not sure what I'd do!

When the raccoons were coming into the house through our cat door (when we
used one years ago), they were very well mannered.  They ate the cat's food
and casually retreated through the house and out the door when we arrived
home at night!  Well, we became more diligent about locking the cat door
after that!  I haven't seen as many raccoons around here lately, but I
remember one time when we had seven mulling around our back deck, probably
waiting for us to open up!

Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)