To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 02, 2005 7:16 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] bugs

At the nature center, they stored a nest in a water bottle that they cut in
half, then taped back together... you know the large ones for the water
coolers. Keeps little hands from destroying it as well as helping to
preserve it.

Donna

I like to use slugs in the classroom. Did you ever watch how big they
get
when left to crawl on a table, for instance? My preschoolers love to
watch
them stretch out to maybe 4" and creep along! I just brought a bald-faced
hornet's nest into school. It was way larger than a basketball! It has
papery construction on the outside and honey comb -like cells inside! What
work of art! I spotted it in a friend's garden this past summer and asked
her if I could retrieve it this winter. I was so excited to find such a
large nest! I have smaller ones, but his one is a gem. Don't know where
I'll store it however. My classroom is jammed full of "interesting stuff"
like this already!

Chris
Long Island, NY
Zone 7a (Average min temp 50 - 00)