RE: Well, today...

I hope your group does ask Gene to come speak, you will not be disappointed.
I had the pleasure of attending one of his slide presentations a few years

Interesting that they were passing out Midwest gardening magazine, but it
doesn't surprise me. Greg and Sue have always promoted their products this
way. This magazine was a long time in coming to print. It was originally
promoted over a year ago. I have known Greg and Sue for ages as they owned a
local nursery near me called Crystal Palace Perennials. It was one of my
favorite ones till they closed it as Greg was on the road with lectures,
they also publish watergardening magazine, a few books for ortho, and with
the new magazine they decided it was no longer profitable to continue the
retail business. They have turned the nursery into a mini-botanical garden.
Hum, what do they call it, prairie gardens or something like that. They are
using it as a test area for hardiness here. They also have a huge privately
owned book collection. There is entire building lined with his collection,
which he allowed us to use at any time! Many out of print as well as books
not found in the states. Greg has always propagated plants, mostly water
plants tho, but has a vast knowledge of horticulture. Besides his aquatic
specialty, he also is on many of the native eco-system projects. His nursery
always had different stuff and I truly miss that! Both of then have always
been involved in community services as well. They were always first to
donate product, time, ideas and what ever was needed. You will not find
nicer folks. I have spent numerous hours in his greenhouses picking out
plants for containers in January so we could have something lush and green
around our pond expo displays. I have also worked with them for the Navy
Pier Chicago garden shows.

Oops, got a little off track there, but I was not impressed with the first
issue of the magazine since I know they can produce a much better product
with their backgrounds. I guess I was expecting more than skimming the top
since every time I picked up a plant and inquired about it, I got the entire
history of it from Greg... but I guess you can't do that in a magazine or it
would be thousands of pages thick :)

Do you get Chicagoland gardening Ceres? That is also a regional magazine
which I enjoy.