Re: Supper, now Wild Tomato

Glad they are still producing for you, Theresa. Yes, excellent flavor.

On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:52 AM, Theresa wrote:

And the wild ones are quite tasty (thanks Jim for the seeds a couple years ago!)

Theresa

james singer wrote:

Wild ones are about the size of a large blueberry. They grow in clusters of seven or eight that ripen at the same time, so we pick them by the cluster. We eat them in salads and an uncooked pasta sauce. The flavor is the best. And I guess they have escaped. They are so common in south Florida that some people think they're native, but they're not; they're native to Mexico and central America. Mrs Mockingbird keeps us supplied with plants, not always in the best location, but they transplant easily.

On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:18 AM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

How do the wild ones taste? Wild tomatoes? Would these be something they
refer to as having escaped?

Kitty
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 5:42 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Supper

We have two tomato plants [not counting about 20 wild tomatoes]--one is
a "Better Boy"; the other is a "Better Bush." We chose them because
they were the only two varieties available at HD on the day we decided
to plant them. The "Better Boy" is the better of the two. It has, thus
far, produced 20 or so fruits and shows no sign of letting up. The
"Better Bush" has produced about five fruits and seems to be developing
some reluctance to producing many more. It currently has three or four
green fruits and when these ripen, I think I'll rip it out and replace
it with whatever HD has at that time. I'd like to replace it with a
"Roma." But whatever we end up with, they will all quit flowering when
the nights warm up in late May or June, but may produce a second crop
in the fall [the wild ones do, so maybe the tame ones will too].