Re: FG

Most likely cause of early browning of ostrich fern is too much light and not enough moisture. They go into early dormancy when sited in those circumstances. Not the fault of the fern.
There are obviously other opinions on graphics than the one expressed by the complainer.. such as the employee at FG who did the layout. I suppose since I did the slides and grew the plants I am aware of the size of the various plants and did not give all their various relationships of size a thought.
Had to go look it up.... have my latest copy of FG but had not had a chance to look inside it. FG never contacted me for any comments for me as the author. Just as well, I suppose.
Gene E. Bush
Munchkin Nursery & Gardens, llc
www.munchkinnursery.com
genebush@munchkinnursery.com
Zone 6/5 Southern Indiana

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" <4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
I just began reading the June issue of FG and saw a letter they printed from
a Northeast reader re Gene's article. She write that his suggestion of
Ostrich Ferns was questionable becuase their appearance in August is
terrible. I have Ostrich Ferns and the only one that looks bad in August is
one that self-sowed somehow into a bright sun location. All of them in
shade to part shade look fine through fall. I didn't think it would be that
different here in IN than it is in her MA. Anyone else grow these ferns?

Also, she objected to the scale of the photos used in the article - said she
couldn't grasp the size of the plants because they weren't all shown in the
same scale. For cryin-out-loud, I don't think I've ever seen a mag article
that had each picture in an article published at identical scale to each
other.

I say pish-tosh to her, not because Gene's involved, but because her
complaints seem silly.

Kitty