RE: OT-Fundraising

I just received an email a few days ago for a snake-avoidance clinic, it is
a fund-raising effort for a rescue group. Do you have snakes in your area?
Maybe there is a trainer you could find locally:
http://www.jindo-dog-rescue.org/events/snake_info.html
How about a 5K fun run/walk for people and their dogs? Used book sale?
I work on a military base and there are always groups that "adopt" a needy
organization in the community and raise funds for them. It gets the military
folks a good bullet for their performance appraisals, for one thing. But I
don't know how you'd get on their radar - usually it's someone within the
base community that has a interest, rather than appeals from outside. If
there are bases anywhere in your area you might try contacting their public
affairs office.
On the things to sell line, there are several companies that sell you the
bulb packages; I don't know how prevalent that is where you are but here all
we ever seem to see is candy bars and frozen cookie dough. I'd buy bulbs
from a fund-raising group but I tend to run from the food. I also came
across a company that makes personalized seed packets.
Is the event strictly dog-centered? any cat lovers likely to be there?
Catnip plants might sell.
If you are at all craft-inclined, how about homemade soap? You can buy the
makings for pure glycerine soap at a craft store - it's also known as melt
and pour soap - very easy to do, quick, and the creativity comes in mixing
the colors, scents, and making shapes. Here's one site with some easy
recipes: http://www.halderman.net/cgi-bin/showrecipe.pl?mp
If you make cookies you must have some kitchen skills...another one that
might work (I'm not sure about selling these to the public) is homemade
jelly. I make some unusual jellies for fun that people are now asking me to
sell so they can give them as gifts during the holidays. Basil, wine, roses
- they are all quick and I sell them for $4 for 4 oz jar. But I don't know
the laws on selling food to the public so it's just for my friends, and any
kind of quantity would run me out of raw ingredients pretty fast (okay, the
wine would be easy). I also do lavender honey, that's popular.
That's all that comes to mind right away.

Cyndi