Re: Cloning Machines

I read/heard someplace that roots developed in water were inferior to roots developed in soil. I don't know if that's true. In my experience, "roots is roots"; basil, rosemary, and begonias--three plants that regularly get rooted in water around here--do not seem to do any worse than similar cuttings rooted in vermiculite [my medium of choice]. The reason we do not root more things in water is we lack additional funny little bottles, vases, and jars, not to mention kitchen window sill space.

Looking at Charley's catalog [and forgiving the snake-oil spiel about a "cloning machine"], the largest unit will hold only 42 cuttings. It's 190 pazoolas, plus another $33.00 for all the magic elixir and miracle fungicides to make the machine produce rooted cuttings rather than rotted vegetation. I can buy an awful lot of vermiculite [or funny little bottles, vases, and jars] for that kind of dough.

Another thing cloning machine users will have to deal with is light, which is at least as important as the rooting medium. So it needs to be used in a location that has full-spectrum light to spare. A couple of those Phillips growlights might do it; I don't know.