Re: Cloning Machines

Hmmm, well, Kitty, I had not heard of this one, but as I understand
it, most commercial propagation from cuttings is done with mist
systems.  What, if anything, they put in the water, I do not know.
Reason for the mist is to keep the leaves and cells turgid while
having good air circulation.  We can often get the same results with
some plants by enclosing them in plastic.  Doesn't work well for
plants subject to rot in high humidity tho'.

Some plants are just easier to root than others.  I wonder what type
of plants the Charley system is designed for - have not gone to look
- does it state ALL plants or say nothing about the different types
that can be propagated by rooting.  Are they aiming this product at
those who may concentrate on annuals and perennials, I wonder?

I'd say that the 'cloning machine' is a clever PR way to describe
some sort of small scale mist system, myself;)

"aeroponic  (oxygen-rich) mist application " also seems a lot of PR
talk.  I mean, any mist system is going to have oxygen mixed with the
water drops unless  it's done in some sort of sealed chamber where
some other gas is pumped in.

I cannot see where a root growth stimulant applied to leaves would do
squat.  Just what 'root growth' stimulant are they supplying, I
wonder?

IMO, you'd be better off getting some really good books on
propagation by cuttings plus several grades of IBM root hormone, some
clear plastic bins with clear lids and a heat mat and
experimenting:-)

Woody plants often take some time to develop good root systems from
cuttings - of course, it depends on the plant; some make tons of
roots fast, like Hydrangeas, and some are very reluctant to root at
all; some root best from soft wood; some from hardwood; some from
half hard wood.

I've been trying to root cuttings from a shrub my Mom has that I have
not been able to ID for sure, but want one of,  for a couple of years
with no success - taken in March or October, which is when I'm down
there.  Obviously, wrong time of year or I need a different root
hormone.

As for rooting in water.  Only a few woodies will do that - Aucuba
and Hydrangea come to mind..  I always root my Brugmansia in water
and there are several 'annuals' that root well in water.  But,
generally, I favor using some sort of media - I often use plain
coarse sand - since plants do make different types of roots and those
created to live in water often have a hard time getting used to a
soil mix.  I agree, if you root in water the goal is to pot up as
soon as you see roots forming - I seldom get there.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs
Current Article: Until April 11

----------
<4042N15@nationalhearing.com>
> Chris - I have noticed that most messages are coming through very
fast
> lately.  However, I sent this an hour and a half ago, but it hasn't
come
> through on 2 lists including chat, but did make it through on 2
other lists.
> So I'll try Chat again without cross-posting.  Sorry if anyone
receives
> duplicates:
>
> I was just looking through Charley's Greenhouse catalog and they
now offer
> Cloning Machines. I guess I'd heard of cloning but never thought of
it as
> being a system available to the home user.  But they do have a
small one
> that handles 8 cuttings.  Says: "the process involves continuous
spraying of
> a cloning solution (root growth stimulant) onto your stem, root or
leaf
> cutting...process is highly effective.  Roots appear in 3 to 10
days and
> cuttings ready for transplant in 7-21 days with a healthy,
well-developed
> root system....Practical, easy to use design with true aeroponic
> (oxygen-rich) mist application to ensure fast rooting and optimum
results."
> Has anyone seen these units?  anyone used anything like this?  (if
you have
> a Charley's catalog, it is on page 81)  I can't access their
website from
> here but the salesperson says the website has more detailed info.
>
> I realize simple cuttings done the old fashioned way are a lot
cheaper, but
> I'm not always successful at it - more failures than successes.
Those that
> do take don't have a really good root system and it's easy to lose
them over
> the first winter.  I plan to try a different rooting medium this
season in a
> closed container which has been ultra successful for tender
perennials; I'd
> like to see if it will work for woodies.  If it doesn't do well,
I'm