Re: Fw: Alan Bloom Dies Aged 98

When I saw the post by Graham it really made me sad....the ending of
an era.  I was also surprised at his great age; had no idea he was
*that* mature:-)  I actually met Alan Bloom once back in the late
80's when we traveled to the UK and I wanted to see Bressingham, but
it wasn't open.  I called and he gave us permission to come; met us
at the gate - exchanged a few pleasantries - he seemed rather shy and
I was pretty awe struck, so the conversation wasn't scintillating.
But, meeting him thrilled me no end because I think about the first
gardening book I ever had was one of his.

The garden was fabulous, even in late September.  Only my DH, me and
a couple of gardeners tending the beds...what a treat.  Also saw the
fantastic conifer gardens of his son Adrian but did not see the steam
train, which I think was in existence but not operating that day.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs