Re: Terribly windy

Weather station was right again. It's raining.

On Apr 7, 2005, at 3:35 PM, james singer wrote:

today. Storm blowing through north of here and dragging a lot of air through the neighborhood. We may still get some of the rain--our weather station says we will--but rain looks less and less promising. I've got lots of seedlings and cuttings to pot up and lots of potted stuff to jump in size, but working out in the wind drives me crazy. So I guess I'll try it tomorrow.

Did get some potted palms moved today. Musical chairs, sort of; need to rotate them so they all get equal access over time. And all get cleaned up, inspected, and fed. Discovered one of the Phoenix dactyliferas has scale, so tomorrow [if the winds subside] I will spray it with a colloidal soap solution. In case you haven't heard about it, colloidal soap--while totally organic and "safe"--is now used by quite a few nurseries to control insect, bacterial, and fungus problems. Problem is it's not registered as a pesticide, so can't be sold as such. Tropical fruit people are a-buzz about it because it reportedly controls anthracnose, a plague of mangos.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10