Re: birdseed, raccoons

In a message dated 04/08/2005 10:22:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
gossiper@sbcglobal.net writes:
How was the trip Auralie?
It was lovely, Donna.  Just what we needed.  Didn't see as many
birds as we usually do this time of the year, but still quite a bunch.
The trip down was a bit hairy.  We spent the first night in Dover to
visit the Bombay Hook NWR and Allee House, a historical place
on the reservation.  It was beginning to rain as we left the next day,
and it turned into a violent wind and rainstorm.  The drive on down
to Chincoteague took an hour longer than usual.  But after that the
weather cleared and the rest of the week was gorgeous.  Spring
seemed to be late there, so perhaps that's why there were fewer
birds than usual.  Even so, we were treated to a bald eagle
outside our window each morning, and one day saw him catch
something in the water.  Ospreys were nesting, too.  Lots of egrets,
both Great and Snowy, and one Cattle.  Glossy Ibis, Ring-neck
Pheasants, Great Blue and Black-Crowned Night Herons, lots of
gulls and terns and ducks and shorebirds, including one marshy
field full of Greater Yellowlegs.  All in all, a pretty good catch, even
if not up to some years.  Every year can't be the best.  It was just
great to be away from the telephone and pressures.  Now that
we're back, though, everything should have been done yesterday.
Auralie