Re: watershoots/suckers?

Don't see where you say the lilac is grafted [did I miss it?}, so what you see is what you get from the suckers.

I've always heard "watersprouts" to refer to aggressive leaders originating above the graft. My valencia orange does that on occasion--sends out a leader from above the graft that seems to grow a foot a day until I lop it out.

But if your question is why a lilac suckers [they all do, terribly], it's because that's what they do. I don't think stress has anything to do with it. Crape myrtle is the same way.