Re: today in zone 5....

Wow, that is a beautiful rose.
zone 7
West TN
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 10, 2005 2:23 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] today in zone 5....

I had planted a William Baffin rose last fall. IT survived! Already budding
out but noticed (since yes, this heaved slightly too) that it has sprouts
coming from the root system... Ok rose folks... what do I do?!? Clip them
off? Let them grow? Had the plant not heaved slightly, I would not be seeing
this for awhile.... so?
Hi Donna,

  Let the suckers grow!  William Baffin is grown on its own roots, so any
  new shoots are going to produce the same flowers.

  I have a tremendous William Baffin by my front door that's just
  incredible every year:

  It's even taller now than in that photograph with more stalks.

I have a lot of heaving here, so been pushing things back down. The soil is
moist and very pliable at the moment. Clearing out the broad leaf weeds and
grass that in the back bed. Boy is it easy to do at this time of year (Every
other year I was involved in some club function and never got to my garden!)
Same here, except for moist.  The soil here in 5b, East Central Illinois
is dry as a bone.  I've lost a lot of stuff this winter to bunnies and
heaving.  :(