Re: now new version of old plants- was need yourthoughts on some plants please.

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] now new version of old plants- was need yourthoughts on some plants please.
  • From: "Marge Talt" mtalt@hort.net
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 04:10:39 -0400

> From: Donna <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
> Hum-- aside from a small difference in the look of the plant...
isn't the
> theory that the new versions are either- hardier, disease
resistant, no
> mildew, and other claims to get us to buy them?
----------

Yeah,  possibly, but it's mostly that they look different and the
nursery business lives and dies on 'new' to tempt people to buy more
plants:-)  Well, that's what they're in business for.

"New" in and of itself does not tempt me.  The plant has to hit one
of my lust nerves, whether old or new.  One thing I have discovered
about some 'new' plants is that they do not prove really
garden-worthy...just sort of fade out or decide to cover the world
with their offspring.  One thing I learned the hard way is to wait a
bit before forking out more than I usually pay for a perennial for
something new.  I will never forget that I paid $20 for Persicaria
'Painter's Palette' when it first came out...now doing its best to
cover the world with seedlings that all come true...never again:-)

I do not think that 'new' plants are trialed enough in enough
different climates, really, before they hit the market.  We gardeners
turn out to be the trial gardens.  If the new child is a good'un, it
will turn into a classic; if not, you won't find it again next year.
Also think breeders are sort of going nuts for 'different', which is
not always better.  Take one of my pet peeves - double Aquilegia
(columbine).  I know some people love them, but to me they are just
plain ugly...half the charm of Aquilegia is the spurs and graceful
flower form, both lost in the congested double flowers.  But, to each
their own and those who find charm in the doubles are welcome to
them:-)

So, I tend to ignore 'new' and just go for what appeals..

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@hort.net
Editor:  Gardening in Shade
Shadyside Garden Designs