hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

This weekend (was RE: Quiet day)

Saturday was semi unpleasant with high winds (30mph) but at least it wasn't
cloudy. I worked in the vegetable garden pulling up all the grass I didn't
get to over the last couple months. Sunday was very nice indeed. I did a
short hike in the morning - we are starting at 7 am now to avoid any
rattlesnake encounters - and then I got the rest of the veggie garden
rototilled, planted seeds for green beans, melons, cucumbers, and zucchini
as well as one bed with cilantro, dill, basil, and parsley. I started moving
plants out of the greenhouse onto the patio but my hand cart is elsewhere,
so most of that has to wait. And yes, I too got sunburned. 
But I confess I did not get as much done as I could have. This is usually
true but I have an excuse this time. Sunday was really nice weather. My
backyard behind the vegetable garden is this veritable carpet of flowers,
probably almost an acre of solid yellow interspersed with orange poppies.
And we have this baby lamb that needs to be fed with a bottle. So while I
was out in the garden the lamb could see me and was crying for "mom". I
thought to myself, if I just go out and sit for a while the lamb will be
quiet. So I did. I sat in the sunshine with all these flowers just glowing
around me, a sleeping lamb, and the occasional ladybug crawling by. There
were a few bees buzzing around too. And while I was thinking about all the
work not getting done I also thought, how often do you get a day like this?
So I was idle for a few hours. It was great. 


-----Original Message-----
From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Kitty
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 5:31 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Quiet day

Well, someone should check with Cyndi.  Wasn't she complaining that Sat &
Sun are always crappy?  It's a fantastic Fri-Sat-Sun-Mon here.

neIN, Z5
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <EvaTEsq@aol.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2005 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Quiet day

> It was beautiful here too.  Around 60 degrees.  This was my  "opening 
> day"
> the gardening season -- it was the 1st day for me this year  that I
> got to spend working in the yard.  I spent the whole day  outside 
> cleaning
> the pond, cleaning the yard and working on one of my  gardening beds.
> Lesson learned on day 1 of the gardening season:  SUNBLOCK, SUNBLOCK, 
> SUNBLOCK! I have to remember that next time.  The back of my neck is 
> wicked  badly sunburned.  BRIGHT RED!  Youch, it hurts.
> Eva
> Long  Island, NY
> Zone 6/7
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the 

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the message

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement