Upward & Onward

About 2 years ago, we potted up ligustrum cuttings in 3-gallon pots. We were going to keep jumping them in size until they reached 15 gallon, then sell them. Since then, we confiscated and planted four ourselves in a mixed hedge and gave another three or four away [Ms Fatma's school is a black hole for plants]. Well, we forgot one. And when we cleaned out the rear area of Ms Fatma's reading room a couple of weeks ago--there it was, 8 feet tall with enormous roots that had ripped up the pot and sunk into the ground.

Since it was "about" where we would have planted a tree of some kind, we decided to cut the remainder of the pot off, build a pressure-treated wooden box around it, fill the box with soil, and plant smaller stuff in the box so it looked like we had intended to do this all along.

I finally got around to doing that today. I transplanted calla lilies and caladiums--both of which are just now breaking the surface in this neighborhood--around the base of the tree.

We did a similar kind of box a number of years ago and planted African iris in it. The iris have now maxed out the box, so we need to remove the box, divide the iris, and start all over again. It's always something.

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10