RE: This weekend (was RE: Quiet day)

Well, they are usually slow to wean. I give them a bottle. I just start
cutting back after 8 weeks to a bottle in the morning and one before
bedtime. Then around 12-13 weeks old I cut the evening bottle to a half
bottle. Then I slowly taper off. They will continue to whine and holler
when they see you coming...even when they are over a year old. You're
the mom. Our bottle babies are the most friendly and the easiest to show
because they have been handled from the git-go. And these that I have
been feeding are in pens in my garage because they were born when it was
cold. We have pine shavings in there and a heat lamp when it's cold at
night. During the warm days I let them all go outside to romp around in
a large outdoor pen. We are showing two of them this weekend and after
that, we'll put them out there with the bigger babies.

Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil> wrote:
We have 3 Suffolk ewes that all had twins a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately
ewe #1 had a problem - of which I'll leave you in blissful ignorance - and
the secondborn twin didn't get a good start. She got weaker and weaker until
we had to take her inside and did the tube-feeding thing. Of course mama ewe
wouldn't take her back after that. So, bottle lamb. They are cute but I
would have been happier not having to do it, that first week when they need
to eat every few hours is a PITA when you work an hour from home.
One bottle lamb I actually did bring to work for a week, I was blessed with
easygoing coworkers and deliberate supervisory blindness. Couldn't get away
with it this time.
Are your baby goats in with the others, are you using one of those milk
bucket setups or are you wandering out with bottles on a regular basis? The
two lambs we've done this for in the past have been slow to be weaned, they
are not able to copy mama ewe I guess - how do you handle that with your
goats?

Cyndi