Re: Gourds

Well..I grew them in blistering heat and sun in Texas and they did fine
(they did look wilted in the heat of the day, but by evening they
recovered...and they were in Texas clay dirt that bakes like a brick in
the heat) and I've planted them in Kansas City and Oklahoma...in partial
shade. Bottom line is...they do fine as long as they don't get soggy.
The gourd doesn't really become "tough skinned" until almost mature and
can still shrivel if too wet when it gets that big. That's why "mother
nature" made them climbers I'm sure...to keep them dry. What are you
using yours for? if you don't mind me asking? I have all kinds of books
on gourds because I've done ornamental things with them...and plan on
doing more when life becomes a little "saner" for me. If you need any of
that type of info...let me know. I'll be glad to copy some and send it.

Jess

Auralie, Jesse--What is your experience and/or recommendation with sun
v. shade?

On Apr 12, 2005, at 6:21 PM, Aplfgcnys@aol.com wrote:

> I've never grown one in a pot, Jim, so can't give you definite advice
> there. I can't see why it wouldn't work if you have room. But it will
> definitely need something to climb on. If you want the gourds to
> have nice, straight necks, they have to hang down. Otherwise they
> will be contorted. It is sometimes necessary to give them some
> support if they grow very large - like looping a piece of something
> soft like old panty-hose (I'm sure Ms Fatma can help you there)
> around it .
> Auralie
>
> In a message dated 04/12/2005 5:37:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> islandjim1@verizon.net writes:
> I've got a seedling bottle gourd growing in a 1-gallon pot in the
> lathhouse; it is just beginning to produce secondary leaves. And I need
> advice. I want to plant it somewhere so it will produce a bottle or
> three, but I have no idea what it wants, including whether it needs to
> go in the ground or can stay in a large pot [say, 15 gallon]. I know it
> may run all over hell's halfacre no matter where it's planted, but
> that's okay--I've got the room. But does it want/need to climb?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10