hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

This weekend in the desert


I did so little in the yard this weekend it's embarrassing. My husband and I
own a house about an hour from us that we are getting ready to sell. The
last tenant really let it go and we were lax in checking up on it. So we
have been spending quite a bit of time there fixing all the various
problems. One of the things that has to be done is getting the septic tank
cleaned and certified. The company that does that (and in the town they are
somewhat of a monopoly) says it's up to the homeowner to have the access
ports clear. So my dear husband, the love of my life, who told me that
installing new linoleum in two tiny bathrooms would be "too much work",
decided that we would dig up this tank ourselves to save money.
I'll pause while you all giggle. 
Anyway that's what we did Saturday. Thank heavens we found the thing right
away without having to dig test holes. This is desert ground, which is not
sand, but very hard dirt. 3 feet down and there are 3 doors to uncover, so
we're talking a hole about 3' deep by 3' across by 9' long. We did not
finish the digging Saturday because we were both dropping from exhaustion
about 2 pm. I had chores at home Sunday but he went back to continue the
digging. 
I did have the last laugh. Sort of. He told me a realtor stopped by while he
was digging and said it would have cost about $75 to hire someone else to do
it. The lineolum installation, which we've already contracted to have done
along with new carpeting, is going to be about $400. Hubby agrees I was
right and he should have investigated the options. Now, if only this meant
he'd listen to me next time... 
So anyway on Sunday I moved all the patio plants out of the greenhouse and
set up the watering system. I have a couple big terra cotta pots that are
falling apart - they have these enormous pelargoniums in them - and I have
new pots, but I couldn't figure out any way to transplant them without
severely damaging the plant and myself in the process. I decided to see if
the pots will hold together through the summer, I'll take cuttings for new
plants to winter over in the greenhouse, and just throw the old pot and
plants away after it freezes. Any hints on transplanting big potted plants
would be welcome. 
I also managed to get six more tomato plants into the ground, deadheaded the
rest of the daffodils, and replaced a bunch of my irrigation hoses. There is
so much more to be done, but one thing at a time I guess. 

Cyndi

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE GARDENCHAT



Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index



 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement