From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of james singer
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 12:16 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] This weekend in the desert

Pelargoniums, as you know, are very easy to root. They'll root in
anything--water, perlite, vermiculite, sand, potting mix, whatever. I'd
take a bunch of cuttings now and get them started. In the process, I'd
severely prune back the mother plants, then pretty well shake the old
soil from their roots and transplant them in new planting mix. I think
I'd also feed them at the same time with liquid fish and keep them in
dappled shade until they were clearly growing again.

On Apr 18, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR wrote:

> I have a couple big terra cotta pots that are
> falling apart - they have these enormous pelargoniums in them - and I
> have
> new pots, but I couldn't figure out any way to transplant them without
> severely damaging the plant and myself in the process. I decided to
> see if
> the pots will hold together through the summer, I'll take cuttings for
> new
> plants to winter over in the greenhouse, and just throw the old pot and
> plants away after it freezes. Any hints on transplanting big potted
> plants
> would be welcome.
>
> Cyndi

Island Jim