Re: Mealy bugs

Kitty wrote:
alternative to traditional chemical treatments for controlling a number
of insects and other pests, including Soil Mealy Bugs

Jesse, (or anyone) are soil mealy bugs anything like ordinary mealy bugs?
I've had a terrible time with mealy bugs on coleus this winter.  I keep
dabbing them off with alcohol and they keep coming back.  I finally put the
coleus outside the other night to hopefully kill them off.  Now they've
jumped to the Osteospermums which they never bothered before.  I'm getting
pretty irritated.  I wonder, if I dusted everything with DE, would it get
rid of the mealy bugs?
Can't say about the DE, but you may have root mealy bugs. Live around the
stem and roots. Try unpotting an afflicted one, brush off potting mix,
and inspect. If so, you'll likely need a systemic insecticide such as
Orthene or one of those containing imidacloprid (sp?).
-jrf
P.S. To your original question, yes, they are the same or as close as makes no difference; maybe different species.
--
Jim Fisher
Vienna, Virginia USA