Re: todays issues in the garden......

Try RoundUp, Donna. Once it's dead, let the fungi, earthworms, and microbes take care of it. No pulling necessary.

On Apr 18, 2005, at 6:18 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

I really don't think that could be Turtlehead.  Got a picture?
Kitty

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 17, 2005 5:12 PM
Subject: [CHAT] todays issues in the garden......

As I was cleaning up one of the garden beds today, seen these - what I
thought were seedlings. Been looking at them for a week trying to decide
what they were. (remember I normally don't get to my yard at this 'time of
year', doing other things for the last 7 years.)

Well decided that some of them had to go as they were in another plants
area....hum... this seedling is not pulling out very easy.... oops! This
sucker is traveling around from underground to everywhere! My current
thought (have had a few with this plant) is it might be Chelone? Does
turtlehead spread underground with a massive root system/reminds me of a
small tree root?

Well what ever it is, it has to go..... so attempted to dig them up but I
think they won. Going to try earlier in the day and see if I have more
strength to do this (was tired already when I started this).

So besides hiring some young strong person to do this.... any ideas? How
about roundup? Would it make it easier to do this after the plants were
dead?

thoughts folks? It appears to go down about 7 inches of solid root
mass/stems/whatever and it fights being dug up! I was ready to strip it
down
the 7 or so inches and just get rid of the whole mess... but it won't even
let you do a patch at a time!

Donna
Who can't wait to get to the other garden with the tansy and white
gooseneck
that I planned on eradicating!

Island Jim
Southwest Florida