Fwd: Hofstra show

In a message dated 04/16/2005 2:29:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Aplfgcnys
writes:
Chris, I just had a call from Charlotte Donigi telling me you had been looking
for me at the Hofstra shiw yesterday.  I'm so sorry I missed you.  I had found
my husband waiting for me when we got back from lunch - he hadn't been
invited this year.  Most years they take him along because everybody knows
him and considers him part of the crowd, but Joan Prior, the chairman of
this year's show, didn't ask him. Anyway, he was ready to go home, having
already
seen all of the show he wanted to see, and as I was dropping-down tired, I
just let him haul me off without even going down to the vendor's floor.  You
had not been sure you would be there anyway, so I just went.  So sorry.
Charlotte suggests that you might come up and visit us sometime this
summer, or that we could get together somewhere for lunch. We'll have
to think of something.  My club is planning a visit to Planting Fields on
May 9.  Could you join us there?

It was a nice show - Second District always puts on a good show.  There was
less horticulture than I remember last year, but a really impressive display
of daffodils.  I had quite a barney with my dear friend Joan Corbisiero, who
had written the horticulture schedule and put narcissus, tulips, hyacinths
and other bulbous plants under herbaceous perennials.  Her argument is that
the Handbook defines herbaceous perennials as those that die back to the
ground in the winter and come up each spring.  My argument is that the
word "herbaceous" refers to a different kind of plant structure from that of
bulbous plants.  And as someone else pointed out, they don't die down in
the winter, they die down in the spring after they have bloomed.  Does
anyone here have any input into the argument.  I know it is really picky,
but I am on the evaluating panel and this could be a critical point.
Auralie