Re: Weather/Irrigation

I don't know much about irrigation anywhere except here, where the soil is sandy, and the central valley of California, where the soil is gumbo adobe. In central valley California, drip irrigation is terrific, the slow drip soaks into and throughout the dense adobe, spreading moisture in a large circle around each emitter. In our sandy soil, emitter drips do not spread; they go straight down. So we use micro-sprayers, devices that put out a circle of spray. The area of coverage is about the same, given the difference in soil texture.

Here--and I don't know this about the central valley of California--we have rain sensors, devices that measure rainfall and override the irrigation controller. Turns off irrigation when it rains, turns on irrigation when it doesn't. But I'm sure this is not a sandy-soil gizmo; RainBird [John Deere] is smart enough to have one, or settings for one, for any soil type.

Beats dragging hoses.

On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Well, here we are in our 3rd straight 80 degree day and no sign of rain. It
is unbearably dry. I have never had to water in April but when I went home
at lunch, a beautiful Pulmonaria in semi shade was lying prostrate, so I
gave in and turned the sprinkler on for the next 3 hours. It's an
oscillator; the quickest, easiest solution. I haven't yet laid out the
watering system for this year. Geez, last year I only used it 2 or 3
times - it was such a wet year. I'm afraid this dry spring may be an omen.

Kitty'

----- Original Message -----
From: "Donna" <gossiper@sbcglobal.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 16, 2005 5:05 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] Weather

Well today was the native plant groups sale.... was worried
the
nice
weather
would keep folks home working in their gardens instead of
heading
by
us....
but they came out in droves...it's was a long day.....

Good thing I don't have to talk... cause the voice is gone!

Donna

It's been gorgeous here but still no sign of rain.  We
potted up
about
700
plants for our MG nursery yestwerday and we'll finish up
tomorrow

afternoon. I still have lotsof plants coming in for the
display
gardens that I have
babysit for a while.  I ordered a Glaucidium that I need to
convince
one
of
the shade gardens to take on.  When I got my own a few years
back
had
wait a couple of years for it to bloom.  This one is
blooming in
the
pot.
Kitty