Re: Weather/Irrigation

Kitty, I've sort've come to believe that micro-sprayers are better for every soil type. Emitters are great for pots [and bird baths] but too limited for most other applications. There is also a laser-drilled tubing [forget what it's called], a kind of weeping spaghetti hose, that is great for row crops or, because it is spaghetti hose, wrapping around plants and beds.

Cyndi, you might experiment with this laser-drilled stuff [HD has it]--uses a lot less less water than the weeping hoses and puts the water in the same place. I don't have row crops; I use it on my hedges.

On Apr 19, 2005, at 6:47 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

Our soil here is supposed to be the type that is good for drip irrigation,
but I tried it years ago and the water didn't spread out far enough to suit;
it pretty much went slowly straight down. I don't like dragging hoses
either so last year I put together a water system with what Jim described as
"micro-sprayers, devices that put out a circle of spray. " I really liked
the way it worked. I still have to plug the hose into each set, but quick
connects make it easy.

However, in this climate the lines would freeze if water were left in them.
Some people leave them in place and blow them out with an air compressor,
but I was unable to find a small one that would operate off electricity. So
last fall, I picked up and stored all 600 feet of the layout. I just
haven't had time to put it back in place. That's why I resorted to the old
oscillator.

Kitty
neIN, Z5
----- Original Message -----
From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Weather/Irrigation

I don't know much about irrigation anywhere except here, where the soil
is sandy, and the central valley of California, where the soil is gumbo
adobe. In central valley California, drip irrigation is terrific, the
slow drip soaks into and throughout the dense adobe, spreading moisture
in a large circle around each emitter. In our sandy soil, emitter drips
do not spread; they go straight down. So we use micro-sprayers, devices
that put out a circle of spray. The area of coverage is about the same,
given the difference in soil texture.

Here--and I don't know this about the central valley of California--we
have rain sensors, devices that measure rainfall and override the
irrigation controller. Turns off irrigation when it rains, turns on
irrigation when it doesn't. But I'm sure this is not a sandy-soil
gizmo; RainBird [John Deere] is smart enough to have one, or settings
for one, for any soil type.

Beats dragging hoses.

On Apr 19, 2005, at 5:26 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing