Re: Fwd: Hofstra show

You're quite right, Kitty.  I always try to have something a bit unusual.
But sometimes it backfires, because the judges don't always know
what they are looking at, and thus don't appreciate it.  (That's why
we have Horticulture Schools - to try to educate judges.  Pardon my
soapbox.)
There were not very many herbaceous perennials in the show.  A
couple of pulmonarias, a few hellebores, and not much more.
Unfortunately they had put in some pansies, which are biennials, so
we had to ask them to make a separate class.  Of course you can't
judge daffodils and lungwort in the same class - all of the classes are
subdivided by genus, species, variety/cultivar, size, color, manner of
growth, or whatever else you can think of.  We try not to have more
than a maximum of six or seven specimens in any one class, just to
avoid that problem.
I am, reluctantly, going to mark the show down on their scheduling.
The classes were not well defined or organized.  The presentation
was quite attractive, and there was an impressive display of
daffodils, but generally I thought it was thin.  I feel that a large
District like Long Island could have produced more than the
329 entires in Horticulture.  My small club of 12 members produced
149 entries for our show last year.  In fact, this Hofstra show last
year had much more horticulture.
Long Island is a zone warmer than I am, and is usually a good
two weeks ahead of me, but my daffodils are really out full today.
They can grow things that won't survive here - Aucuba is a standard
foundation planting shrub there and won't survive a winter here.
Auralie

In a message dated 04/20/2005 11:38:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
4042N15@nationalhearing.com writes:
Let us know what you decide, Auralie.
RE: > The person who wrote this said there wouldn't be much in the way of
> herbaceous perennials at this time of the year,
I don't compete in shows, but it seems to me that those who would, would
angle for a less populated category - better chance of winning.  They might
therefore concentrate on the many herbaceous plants that would be ready this
time of year.  Hellebores - perennial plant of the year.  Pulmonarias -
ablaze with bloom right now in Zone 5 (I thought you were in 5 or 6 )  How
about Mertensias - or are they considered a geophyte?  Epimediums.
Anemones.  And that's just my yard.  I know there are many other plants.

And as  far as competition goes, how can you compare daffodils to Lungworts?