Re: Fwd: Hofstra show

Kitty, it would be possible, however unlikely, to have 349 first
place winners if all were different and each was worthy of a
first place.  However, we don't subdivide indefinitely. If there
were only three or four Geraniums, they would all compete in
one class.  But if there were ten Geraniums, three "Rozanne,"
three "Ballerina," and four others of other cultivars, we would
make three classes unless two of the others were the same, in
which case they would also be subdivided out.  We never
subdivide out a single specimen unless there are two different
entries that are each so outstanding as to be worthy of a first.
To win a blue ribbon, an exhibit must score 90 points. We don't
just give blues automatically, as some county fairs do.
The object of the subdivisions is to group like specimens in
such a way as to rank them, but in a group of ten Geraniums
there might be three or four worthy of blue ribbons, and we try
to find a way to recognize such quality.  It also sometimes
happens that there is no worthy exhibit, and no ribbon is given.
If you pay attention to such divisions at the next flower show you
visit, you might begin to understand.

In the Hofstra show, there was a huge Section of daffodils - some
192 specimens.  .The original schedule listed  10 classes, one
each for the first 6 Divisions, one class for Division 7-8 (Jonquilla/
Tazetta - these are usually later, so they didn't expect so many),
1 class for any-other Division, 2 classes for miniatures, which are
never judged in the same class with standards, and one class for
three blooms, same cultivar.  Now, for instance, Division I, Trumpet
daffs, there were subdivisions for 'Mt. Hood,' 'King Alfred,' 'Spellbinder,'
all of which had several specimens.  Then there would have been a
subdivision for other yellow trumpets.  If there were several of one
cultivar they would have been put together, but if there were only one
of each of three or four cultivars, that would have been a class.  Same
for white trumpets and bicolor trumpets.  Any time there were two or
more with like characteristics, and at least one was award-worthy, a
subdivision would have been made.  This does several things.  It
recognizes merit, pleases exhibitors, and is easier and quicker for
judging.  If you are judging a very large class with several good entries,
it can be very difficult to choose the best.  Point-scoring is used to
decide close competitions, but can be very time-consuming.

I'm sure this is all more than you wanted to know.  My kids had a
saying  - If you don't really want to know, don't ask Ma.

In a message dated 04/20/2005 7:03:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,