Pines in japanese gardens

I'm looking for a "how-to" reference...a book, or web page, or whatever. You
know how pine trees in Japanese gardens have that kind of bonsai look, even
though they are full size? Kind of leaning, wind-swept, with very clean
lines and a sort of sculptural quality to them? What I need to know is how
to do that to a young pine tree that will end up eventually at about 5'
tall, and planted in the ground. I know that bonsai get wrapped in wire to
gradually bend them to the right shape, but I'm not sure if the same thing
is done for a larger tree. It would have to be some darn heavy wire! I've
never seen any that look like they are in the process, I have plenty of
pictures of what I want, I've seen lots o' books on Japanese gardens but I
haven't found the instructions on shaping a larger tree. Any hints?

Cyndi