Re: Pines in japanese gardens

Google turned up this reference in a chat file "May/June 1990 issue of Fine Gardening, pages 54-57, had an article on shaping pine trees for Japanese gardens..." Google couldn't find the site when I clicked on it. But offered to find a Japanese garden chat site. I searched on "shaping pine trees"; advanced search, that is.

On Apr 25, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center wrote:

I don't have anything specific to tell you just yet, but I believe I read
somewhere that they are trained, like bonsai, but not like bonsai.
Bonsai are usually trained with wire wrapped around the branch. A tree like
the one you have would require something pulling the branch down. Of course
it shouldn't be wire as that would cut into the branch. Maybe it would be
that green stretch tape applied to a pliable stem and then tied back to the
If I come across anything more definitive I'll let you know.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnson Cyndi D Civ AFFTC/ITSR" <cyndi.johnson@edwards.af.mil>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 9:06 AM
Subject: [CHAT] Pines in japanese gardens

I'm looking for a "how-to" reference...a book, or web page, or whatever.
know how pine trees in Japanese gardens have that kind of bonsai look,
though they are full size? Kind of leaning, wind-swept, with very clean
lines and a sort of sculptural quality to them? What I need to know is how
to do that to a young pine tree that will end up eventually at about 5'
tall, and planted in the ground. I know that bonsai get wrapped in wire to
gradually bend them to the right shape, but I'm not sure if the same thing
is done for a larger tree. It would have to be some darn heavy wire! I've
never seen any that look like they are in the process, I have plenty of
pictures of what I want, I've seen lots o' books on Japanese gardens but I
haven't found the instructions on shaping a larger tree. Any hints?

Island Jim
Southwest Florida
27.0 N, 82.4 W
Hardiness Zone 10