Re: Pines in japanese gardens

> I'm looking for a "how-to" reference...a book, or web page, or whatever. You
> know how pine trees in Japanese gardens have that kind of bonsai look, even
> though they are full size? Kind of leaning, wind-swept, with very clean
> lines and a sort of sculptural quality to them? What I need to know is how
> to do that to a young pine tree that will end up eventually at about 5'
> tall, and planted in the ground. I know that bonsai get wrapped in wire to
> gradually bend them to the right shape, but I'm not sure if the same thing
> is done for a larger tree. It would have to be some darn heavy wire! I've
> never seen any that look like they are in the process, I have plenty of
> pictures of what I want, I've seen lots o' books on Japanese gardens but I
> haven't found the instructions on shaping a larger tree. Any hints?

Hi Cyndi,

   You can pretty much follow the same principles with larger trees --
   just use larger shears, wires, and weights.  :)  If you go to the
   Japanese garden at the Chicago Botanic Garden they have all kinds of
   Japanese white pines with weights and pulleys attached.

   What might work best is a strong $5 yard stake for dogs (the screw
   in type) along with nylon-coated steel wire.  You could probably
   rig something up for $10-15 with that.

   The wind-swept bonsai look you're thinking of, by the way, is called
   the 'fukinagashi' style.  :)

Chris