Re: hemlocks and garden railroads?

> While browsing ebay, seen this auction for Canadian Hemlock's. Of course the
> price is cheap, they are stated as only being 1-2 ft. They also made this
> comment that you can trim them and how large they will grow (100ft)
>
> So.... of course, not thinking about these for my gardens, but John's train.
> Anyone ever try to keep them small? How wide would they be at that small
> stage? Could I keep them that way?
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Donna,

   I think the only way to really keep them looking nice would be to treat
   them as bonsai.  But don't forget that trick I mentioned before about
   planting the trees sideways in the pot and treating the branches as
   regular branches -- ikada, or raft style.  There's directions for using
   larches at

      http://www.yamadori.com/advanced.htm

   There are also tons of hemlock cultivars around that you could use that
   stay pretty darned small, like 'Jeddeloh'.  Those might work just as
   well, and without all of the work!

Chris