From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net [mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf
Of Christopher P. Lindsey
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 1:58 PM
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Pines in japanese gardens

> I'm looking for a "how-to" reference...a book, or web page, or
> whatever. You know how pine trees in Japanese gardens have that kind
> of bonsai look, even though they are full size? Kind of leaning,
> wind-swept, with very clean lines and a sort of sculptural quality to
> them? What I need to know is how to do that to a young pine tree that
> will end up eventually at about 5' tall, and planted in the ground. I
> know that bonsai get wrapped in wire to gradually bend them to the
> right shape, but I'm not sure if the same thing is done for a larger
> tree. It would have to be some darn heavy wire! I've never seen any
> that look like they are in the process, I have plenty of pictures of
> what I want, I've seen lots o' books on Japanese gardens but I haven't
> found the instructions on shaping a larger tree. Any hints?

Hi Cyndi,

   You can pretty much follow the same principles with larger trees --
   just use larger shears, wires, and weights.  :)  If you go to the
   Japanese garden at the Chicago Botanic Garden they have all kinds of
   Japanese white pines with weights and pulleys attached.

   What might work best is a strong $5 yard stake for dogs (the screw
   in type) along with nylon-coated steel wire.  You could probably
   rig something up for $10-15 with that.

   The wind-swept bonsai look you're thinking of, by the way, is called
   the 'fukinagashi' style.  :)