To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 6:39 PM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] trash trees

Siberian elms. I hate 'em. They drop at least 4 kinds of trash all through
the year: the little brown coating off the flower, the flower itself (and if
it's going to have the stupid flowers, couldn't you at least SEE them? but
no), the incredibly durable and easily sprouted seed, and then the leaves in
the fall. The ever-present wind means you're not safe from elm trash
anywhere in this valley. Beetles attack them voraciously so all through the
summer dead hole-riddled leaves are falling off as well. Roots invade at
even the slightest hint of moisture and travel beyond, way beyond, the drip
line. You're pulling up seedlings absolutely everywhere all summer long, and
hope you don't miss one because next spring the 2 inch high seedling will
have a tap root 3 feet long.
My california sycamores are pretty bad for dropping stuff too but at least
they are attractive.

Cyndi