From:  [mailto: Chris@widom-assoc.com]
To: gardenchat@hort.net
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 11:55:55 -0400
Subject: RE: [CHAT] now-- plant shopping today

Kitty,<br><br>Your nursery trip made me wish for a good planting day.
It's cloudy, cool,<br>windy and all round dreary today on Long Island. I
must however get out in<br>the garden, so I just have to bundle up. It's
the wind that annoys me the<br>most, but living by the water, it's just
something I have to put up with!<br><br>I'm off from school this week,
so I'm taking care of a bunch of daylily trip<br>projects. Actually, I
working on them. They won't be completed until after<br>next summer's
convention is over! <br><br>Yesterday, I made the Passover Seder in my
house. My son referred to it as<br>"the circus". I managed to roast the
hard boiled eggs, instead of boiling<br>them (I never remember how long
to let them boil. I guess I left them<br>unattended a little too long).
Chicken grease spilled in the oven and was<br>smoking and I slightly
burnt my mother-in-laws "noodle" pudding when<br>warming it up. There
were three guests in their mid 80's at the table.<br>Everyone had a cane
or walker. We have to shout for my dad because he<br>doesn't hear (and
he shouts back). His guest doesn't see very well. My MIL<br>didn't have
any complaints about ailments last night, so it was quiet on her<br>side
of the table! She's really a great mother-in-law, as they go. My
BIL<br>called from CA in the middle of things and got into a heated
discussion with<br>my DH! My other BIL took pictures of all of us on his
phone to send to CA.<br>Oh., it was just a typical family meal! I did
love to hear my DH read the<br>Hebrew passages. There's something
stirring about it, sort of like reading<br>the Christmas story out loud
from the Bible. Oh, we managed to sing some<br>Hebrew songs to make
things more festive!<br><br>Happy gardening and wishing a good Passover
Message-----<br>From: owner-gardenchat@hort.net
[mailto:owner-gardenchat@hort.net] On Behalf<br>Of Chapel Ridge Wal Mart
National Hearing Center<br>Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 12:12 PM<br>T

o: gardenchat@hort.net<br>Subject: Re: [CHAT] now-- plant shopping
today- was speaking of brugmansia<br><br>While it was snowing yesterday
I stopped in one of my favorite nurseries.<br>I had a small gift
certificate to cash in. It was so cold and I was the<br>only customer. I
picked up a Hakoneckloa - Japanese Forest Grass - because<br>I've never
had one and it seemed about time. I got a Tradescantia
'Concord<br>Grape' because my T. 'Sweet Kate' seems to be coming back so
well. and I<br>picked up a Liatris, can't recall which one. I have
always killed any<br>Liatris I've ever had, but everyone else seems to
do so well with them that<br>I thought I'd just give it one more
<gossiper@sbcglobal.net><br>To: <gardenchat@hort.net><br>Sent: Saturday,
April 23, 2005 4:26 PM<br>Subject: RE: [CHAT] now-- plant shopping
a smaller version would have worked!<br>><br>> Since it is cold here,
decided to drive out to the large greenhouse a few<br>> miles south of
here. It is the largest one in my area for unusual annuals<br>> and some
common perennials. (also the cheapest).<br>><br>> Found a variegated
leaf brugmansia there which is about 3 ft (including<br>pot)<br>> high
for only a couple dollars more than that little one was. It is
am not sure just what is going on this year with plants, but I
started<br>> collecting small annuals to make up hanging/standing pots.
I suddenly seen<br>> all these pre-made assortments there. Many had the
same plants that were<br>on<br>> my cart. Checked the price and decided
it to buy them instead. Basically,<br>it<br>> cost me the same for the
arrangements (which the flowers are already<br>> established and
larger)as it would have for the individual plants.... and<br>> the
containers are a freebie. I can't see how this is profitable for
him,<br>> with the labor, dirt and conta

in
er included. BTW, the ones I bought are<br>not<br>> in those plastic
things... they are either in white wrought iron, wood,<br>> baskets, and
other cutesy stuff. Amazing.... anyways, the car is full and<br>I<br>>
am feeling good about the purchase. I am sure that these will not
last<br>long<br>> there so took what I could use and only bought some of
Donna<br>><br>> >
I used to grow a hybrid (not Charles G.) in the tomato garden. Took<br>>
> canes maybe 6" long, totally bereft of roots, stuck in the tilled
bed<br>> > perhaps 1 May, and by late August had flowers (many). Most
brugmansias<br>> > are high elevation, cool-growing types, and so bloom
best from<br>mid-August<br>> > to frost. In this one-man's experience,
they grow 6" a day and formed<br>> > _very_ large plants.<br>> >
N 77.2 W<br>> > USDA Zone 7<br>> > Max. 105 F [40 C], Min. 5 F [-15
C]<br>><br>>