Re: Plant shopping

  • To: gardenchat@hort.net
  • Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant shopping
  • From: "Chapel Ridge Wal Mart National Hearing Center" 4042N15@nationalhearing.com
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 13:07:42 -0600

I often find different species names or none at all.  Usually it's a natural
cross which would drop the species name altogether.  However, when the
selection was first found it was thought to be of species [this] because it
was found in a grouping of this species.  Later they realize that species
[that] was growing nearby and they think it might actually  be a selection
of that species.  So you might find it listed as Echinacea this 'Blather' or
Echinacea that 'Blather'.  Then later it will be decided it was actually
across of this and that and so should be named Echinacea 'Blather' with no
species listed.  This is just one possible scenerio.

During the time they are trying to hash it out, a grower might purchase the
plant, grow it and distribute it, and thus whatever name it had at the time
will travel with it.  If you want to know for sure what the accurate name is
for the plant, I'd suggest the RHS Plantfinder database.  If it is not
there, google around.  You may find it listed several ways, but I would
choose to follow the name choice of the more or most respected institution.
Instead of using the name an online  nursery had on it, select the name used
by Clemson University or MOBOT or some such higher institution.  They may
not be up to date either, but generally more accurate than some other
sources.  IMO