Re: orchid help

Hi, I grow a lot of my orchids and epiphytes on bark.  I'm assuming it  is
cork bark?  Roots covering the bark is fine, and exactly what it is  meant to
do, as in nature.  Epiphytes gain their moisture and  nutrients from the air on
the entire plant, using their roots more to  anchor the plant than anything
else.  If the orchid plant itself...not just  the roots have covered the entire
bark, you can take off divisions, and mount on  a new piece of bark, or put in
an orchid basket with orchid bark mix.   However, it will not hurt the plant
if you leave it alone.  In fact  I would suggest this.

If it were a Staghorn fern, larger growing bromeliad or such, then I  would
suggest mounting the old bark onto a newer larger bark, but in the case of  an
orchid, this is not necessary.  Most epiphytes can be left alone, with  pups
or divisions taken off.

Make sure that you have plenty of air circulation, humidity and bright
light, but not direct sun....and it will be very happy.  These are my  favorite
types of plants to grow, least amount of maintenance, and using least  amount of
space.

Noreen
zone 9
Texas Gulf Coast