Re: bird rescue - brave or dumb?

Blue jays are cool. We've got a pair that have nested somewhere around here for 4 or 5 years. They regularly visit the birdbaths and steal my white plastic plant labels. We have two large strawberry guava shrubs, which when in fruit, are one of the jays' favorite hangouts.

On Apr 29, 2005, at 12:34 PM, Pam Evans wrote:

Blue jays are incredibly fearless.  I kind of admire that, even if
they are a tad belligerent at times.  But I understand the protecting
the young thing.  I stood over Sugar to keep them from getting to her
until she bolted.   And they are so pretty!   Enjoying the straggler
goldfinches too.  They'll be gone soon.  Some are already back at
Jesse's this week.

Sugar met her match? Yeah, but it took two of them.
Glad you could help the little guy out Pam. I love bluejays, have quite a
few of them. They can be pretty fearless.
Kitty
neIN, Z5
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pam Evans" <gardenqueen@gmail.com>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 6:11 AM
Subject: [CHAT] bird rescue - brave or dumb?

Well don't know if I'm fearless or just stupid, but a fledgling blue
jay got caught in my chain link fence yesterday evening. The parents
ran Sugar off (believe it or not) w/ their screeching and swooping.
This is that huge pair I have here, the fledgling was nearly the size
of a robin. But this poor bird was struggling to get free and making
the most pitiful sound, halfway between a chirp and a bleat. I just
couldn't stand it. So I put my hose down, got my gloves and went over
to help it out of the fence. Fortunately all my glasses are safety
glasses and the bandana protects the top half of my face anyway. So I
went over and helped him wiggle out. They divebombed but didn't peck
me to death I'm pleased to say. He's not very old yet because he
isn't flying real well. So that was reasonably successful. Of course
I got swatted later trying to get a cocklebur off of Sugar's head, so
didn't make it through the night totally unscathed. C'est la vie.

--
Pam Evans
Kemp TX

--