Re: Quiet day

> We're now running off of one 250GB disk with another 250GB disk taking
> 'snapshots' of the system every few hours.
> At this stage in the upgrade things are at their most vulnerable and
> slowest (but definitely useable), and now I can start playing with
> the RAID at my leisure (probably not tonight).
> If everything's ready by tomorrow night we might be running on the RAID
> (which will also be much faster) by Monday morning.

OK, final update (for this part)!

The initial hardware that I ordered didn't work as expected, so I had to
order two other $30 parts.  They came last week and I installed them, and
have since been able to configure the RAID.

As of about 2am Wednesday morning we were switched over, so now we have
190GB of disk space used by hort.net and other Mallorn services with
722GB free.  There are also two spare disks in the setup, so if one fails
another will automatically take over for it without service interruption.

I know that many of you donated to hort.net for this cause, but I wanted
to especially thank Gene Bush of Munchkin Nursery for his *very* generous
contribution specifically for the RAID at hort.net.

The next step is to set up the two 250GB disks that I have as a 'backup'
system that gets updated nightly from the RAID.  That way if the RAID
fails horribly we'll always have a backup at least 24 hours old.

Once that's done and I've finished some of the contract programming for
the American Iris Society (which might go towards funds for a dedicated
SQL server) I'm going to work on the image gallery capabilities so that
you can all share photos.