Re: Fig "Peter's Honey" question

Don't they call your part of Idaho the "banana belt"?
I think that "Saturn" peaches were developed by Stark Brothers, not far from where I live. Every so often, I find them at farmers' markets around here. Yummy!
On Friday, April 29, 2005, at 01:14 AM, Judy Browning wrote:

Thanks Jim,
It is indeed edible and root hardy here. I see at least 6 on this 3 foot
tall plant. My brother in law has had a few figs on his tree but never
offered me one. This one is "very good" per the vendor (see link below), but
this is the first fruit on mine. Their website is still constructing
http://www.onegreenworld.com/ but the catolog is inspiring.
I'm scheming how I can afford to replace my infested pines with some of
their exotics
(saturn peach, persimmon, evergreen huckleberry, white mulberry) that will
screen the neighbors without growing into power lines.
Judy B
z6 Idaho, looks like sunny with high clouds today, not much breeze, so
probably 60's or warmer later on.

From: "james singer" <islandjim1@verizon.net>
I'm not familiar with Peter's Honey, but if its an edible fig [Ficus
carica] its cauliflorus--that is, the fruit are borne directly on the
trunks or stems. And, in the case of the fig, the "fruit" are actually
flowers, so no pollination is necessary. Just watch out that the birds
don't get them before you do.