Re: decimation

Well, I knew rodents love to eat bulbs and lilies are a delicacy. I also know that they'll get into containers over the winter. One year they ate some potted daylilies, but those're tough and bounced back from the damage. The potted lilies last year came through completely unscathed. So I guess I was overdue for tempting fate. It's not really a big deal. I was just more curious about the fact that they only ate the basal plates and tossed the scales.

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 10:57 AM
Subject: RE: [CHAT] decimation

So sorry to hear ..... but I guess everyone has to eat.

Can you surround them in some kind of mesh/screening so they can't do this
next year? Have you thought about moth balls?

As far as why they pick on one plant and not another is a mystery. Maybe
they got distracted and forgot where the goodies where... or filled up and
left the others for later?

When I had voles, the rut marks in the grass where a dead give away... do
you have any of those? Seems my snake took care of the vole problem... and
now it appears the hawk is going to take out the snakes.... only the bunnies
are left here to cause damage currently. <sigh>

Donna