Re: Tornadic Conditions

> Cathy C., looks like you and most of Illinois are in the middle of some
> terrible weather right now.  Take care.  We are under a tornado watch until
> midnight.  I do not like scaru storms.

It was a big one -- probably the worst I've seen in the past ten years!
My parents were visiting and were just about to leave when the tornado
sirens went off; they wouldn't believe a big storm was coming and still
wanted to drive!

I finally herded everyone into the basement just in time for the power to
go out, so I rummaged around and set up my propane camping lantern.  The
wind really started picking up then; we could hear things thumping and
blowing around.

After about an hour the storm let up, so we walked down the street to
survey the damage.  Sticks and branches were everywhere and garbage cans
were rolling around in the streets.  Three doors west of me a 30' high
linden was snapped at the base and tossed against the house, and I found
out today that a 60' pine across the street fell in their backyard.

Anyhow, my parents left and I stayed up checking on the water level in
the sump pit, bailing it out by hand as necessary until the power came
back on around 8:30.  I need to get one of those water-powered sump pumps.

The good news is that as far as I know, nobody was hurt.

Chris
Urbana, IL  61801