Re: Re: [CHAT now vaccines was now IOWA-

I remember "Lockjaw" and being told that I would never be able to eat again if I didn't get a shot (this from my brother, who was a terrible tease).

I don't remember a patch test for small pox. I remember one for TB, though. Lots of little prongs with some goo on it. They stuck it onto your arm, rubbed it around, and made everyone come back a few days (week?) later for a check.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, April 03, 2006 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Re: [CHAT now vaccines was now IOWA-

I think that was it, Daryl. My mother sewed up some midnight blue curtains for the windows--we later used those curtains for WWII "blackouts." I was in junior high [I think] before I had a patch test and subsequent vaccination for small pox. And I was quite young when I was immunized for tetanus--which had the scary aka "lockjaw"; just the way they said that made you want to be first in line for a shot! :>)

On Apr 3, 2006, at 4:45 PM, Daryl wrote:

Didn't they darken the room for measles because of possible damage to the eyes? I think that's what I remember being told when I wanted to read.

It's amazing how much polio there was around in the fairly recent past. I remember when they'd close the pool and theaters and such. My brother had polio, but my mother, like yours, insisted that he exercise. Picking up marbles with his toes was one of the exercises I remember. He has a bit of a roll to his gait, but otherwise you'd never know.

I don't remember anyone having Scarlet Fever, but Mumps, 2 kinds of measles, chicken pox and whooping cough were pretty common. I don't remember vaccinations for anything but Tetanus and Smallpox when I was little. I remember when they introduced the polio vaccine and we had to line up in school to be stuck. The nurse was not gentle!

I was delighted some years later when they came out with the sugar cube thing- until they showed us a movie about how the vaccine was made (in monkey kidneys) . I was young enough (Jr. High or so) to remember that movie vividly.