Re: Re: [CHATnow IOWA-

In a message dated 4/3/06 8:58:13 PM, tchessie1@sbcglobal.net writes:

> What is trench mouth??

Theresa, I have not heard of it since childhood but it was nasty.   As I
remember our gums were swellen and there was risk of losing your teeth.  We were
always warned to not touch drinking fountains as that was possibly where we got
it.   I did a search and found Mayo has an article on it which states it was
prevalent with WW 1 soldiers.   Now, I was not around at that time!!   WW2,
It is also known as Vincent's stomatitis & acute necrotizing ulcerative
gingivitis.   We never, never went to the dr so you can guess what a big deal it
was to have the dr visit us at home and for all four of us to have it.   I'm
sure it was a huge financial burden for my parents who struggled so just to
provide our basic needs.