Re: now vaccines

Yes, the technical term is "herd immunity".
----- Original Message ----- From: "Maria Olshin" <marolsh@ptd.net>
To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 7:51 AM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] now vaccines

Drs were a luxury for us, too. Thank heavens that NYC had (and still does, I hope) well-baby clinics that provided all required vaccinations free.

I'd guess D wasn't nearly as common as the rest of childhood diseases anyway, but if the bulk of a population is immunized, it would reduce the chances of anyone getting the disease, no?

Maria

We don't remember anyone having diphtheria because they began giving
DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus) shots in the 40s,

I didn't have DPT as going to a dr for anything was a luxury for our family
and I am sure for many in our community yet I don't recall anyone having
diphtheria.
Ceres