To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [CHAT] Plant list up

OK, Chris, I gotta ask:
How did you come up with your codes?
:)

The first part of the code is actually the genus -- each genus gets
its own number, and they're created sequentially.  For example, Knautia
'Mars Midget' is 122.

Since I wanted to keep the code short for the bar codes that go on the
pots, I then convert it to a hexadecimal value (basically, a base 16
system instead of base 10).  So 122 becomes 07A.  It makes more of a
difference when you get to larger numbers; 1000 is 3E8, so it takes one
character less.

The second part is base 10 and is an identifier for the species.
The first species in a genus is 0001, the second is 0002, etc.

When you receive your plants there will be a third number, and that will
be the plant number in base 16 again.

So 07A-0001-0001 would be the first plant, but 07A-0001-0010 would be
the 16th plant.

Each one has a unique bar code and id number (I wrote a program to print
out the labels).  I can then track specific plants if need be: if one
has a problem, I can document it and record what I've done with it.
I can also use it to identify seedlings of interest for plant breeding
and to log fertilizer applications and the like.

The biggest advantage is using it to meet state requirements.  I can also
track each plant back to its original source which is something that
we're required to do by law.  If a supplier comes to me and says that
their plants were infected with something, I can immediately identify
which of my plants came from them and identify any customers that might
be affected as well.

Someone on the list said I overthink things too much.  I dunno.  :)

Chris