Re: Plant list up

> >but what about RHO?  Is it Rhodotypos?
> >Rhododendron?
>
> RDT and RDD

Eww.  :)

Seriously, we ran into this problem with UIPlants (wp.nres.uiuc.edu).  We
tried codes for plants and then we'd have a conflict, so we'd rename one.
Then later we'd have a new plant come in with the same code as one that we
stole for the conflict, so that had to be renamed.  By the end of the
project it was a huge mess.

I do admit that it's easy to make a mistake, so that's why I ask people to
enter the plant name on the order form too.  That way I can double-check.

> >The second part is base 10 and is an identifier for the species.
> >The first species in a genus is 0001, the second is 0002, etc.
>
> What about 2 different cultivars of the same species? Campanula alpestris
> 'Alba' and Campanula alpestris 'Rosea'?

I should've known better than to simplify it when talking to you.  :)  You
don't need simplification!  (that's a compliment, BTW)

I treat the species and anything afterwards as a new number.  So
Tricyrtis formosana 'Samurai' will be a different code (01C-0003) in
this case than Tricytis formosana 'Purple Beauty' (01C-0008).

> I guess that for someone working with the system everyday, you'd just
> *know* 0AD is Myrica.  Do you have plans to steer clear of the letter O to
> avoid confusuon with 0 ?

Yes.  A base 16 systems only uses letters A-E.

> As your business grows and you start hiring
> people, it would be easier for them to be able to visually see something in
> the code that makes the connection.I get the impression that you are more
> numerical and I'm more visual.  I just love color coding (yes, I know
> that's not feasible).

Now what makes you think that a computer geek like me is more numerical?  ;)

   "There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
    binary, and those who don't."

Chris