Re: further adventures in propagation

Kitty,

I've not had a problem with Remay until the temps get too hot. It allows good light, moisture and air penetration. You might want to pick up a minimum-maximum thermometer to check on them for a while when the temperatures get higher.

To: <gardenchat@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 1:01 PM
Subject: [CHAT] further adventures in propagation

Help!

Last fall I attempted my first hardwood cuttings. It was getting cold and late; time was short; clonex still hadn't arrived. So I just cut'em and stuck'em. I placed hoops over them and covered in remay.

I just checked under the hood today, and eureka! Some of them have new growth - amazing! All of the Jetbead are growing, some hydrangeas, a Mock orange, and a few others here and there. I'll leave them there til at least June, but here's my qstn:

Should I leave the remay on? Would these little cutting be a temptation to bunnies? I couldn't bear to lose them now. But does the remay cut down on their light? If so, perhas I should fence them? Anyone know what I should do next?

Kitty
neIN, Zone 5