Re: Palms

General rule within limits is--the older palms get, the faster they grow. It's hard to imagine Sacto lacking a significant amount of any micro to inhibit palm growth. No palms grow "fast" except a few that won't grow there to begin with.

David knows the dealers better than I. Note of caution, however--your friends need to learn what their options are at a nursery or three close to home, and then do some research. David mentioned the Chilean Wine Palm, which is truly beautiful, but which will develop a 6-foot diameter trunk over time--not many backyards can accommodate more than about one-half of one of those.

I suggest your friends invest in a copy of "Betrock's Guide to Landscape Palms," by Alan W. Meerow. It's only $15 or so, has great photos, and could keep them from making a $5,000 mistake.

PS. It also has chapters on nutrition, pests, culture, and whatever.