Back in Ohio again...

Bill and I drove through a lot of rain and were monitoring the weather.  I
hope everyone on our list made it through the storms from late last week!
Fortunately, we seemed to be on the back side of the storms, so that when we
got home from Daytona, it was dry (though a little cool at 45 F. for a high)
and beautiful.  My peonies are up a foot!  They weren't even showing when we
left.  Nearly all of my early spring plants are in bloom, including the
grape hyacinths, all my daffodils and standard hyacinths.  Except for the
grass that grew fiercely while we were gone, everything looks so lovely,
including the plum tree in full bloom!  The down side?  The weeds seem to
have enjoyed the rains as well.  Of such is life!

There was a little botanical garden in Daytona off Dunlawton that I visited.
Unfortunately, we must have been there at a bad time.  Their mission was to
feature plants in the area at the time of discovery by Europe.  There were
very few plants in bloom.  It did look very "natural" and I did miss a loop
of the grounds, so I could have missed some interesting things.  On that
property were a couple of historical notes.  It had been a sugar cane
processing center and there were all sorts of artifacts regarding that
facility, including where they hooked up donkeys to soften the sugar cane.
Then later in the 50's, someone bought the place to make it a Dinosaur theme
park.  It was a little too early for its time in the Daytona area.  All
through the gardens were large, early, concrete versions of what folks
thought the dinosaurs looked like.  They seemed to fit right into the

I ended up picking up a walking iris and a Cuban oregano from their sale
tables.  All in all, it was enjoyable, despite being there at a less than
optimum time.

I hope everyone else is doing well as well.

Bonnie  (SW OH - zone 5)