Re: musa acuminata ??

Hi Ceres- I bet your Magnolia is just lovely! If you get a pick to post some time, let us know. About your knee- definitely get a 2nd opinion. That's just crazy. You might want to get that 2nd opinion from a Sports Medicine doc- they seem to have more of a clue that it is important to be able to use your body and maintain movement, no matter what your age. Who cares how old a person is, pain and inability to exercise to remain healthy are not acceptable! Keep us posted.
Theresa

Cersgarden@aol.com wrote:

Donna, I have had this banana and have overwintered in my garden room for 2 winters and have had a baby each yr so now have 3. I have not tried to store the bulb but will perhaps try that that next winter since I have extras now. The book 'Hot Plants in Cold Climates' tells you how to do this but haven't had good luck with other tropicals that they say you can do this method of winter storage. We have a red banana in the greenhouse this year which has been tempting but have had resistance so far. How many bananas does one need in a northern garden?
My yellow 'Butterflies' Magnolia is in bloom for the first time. It is located in my front gardens. It really brings out the colors in my garden (lots of yellow daffs, blue hyacinths and other blue garden accents against my pale yellow house). My 'Royal Star' Magnolia has been gorgeous also but the heat & the winds have matured it very fast.
Haven't had much time to chat but I am trying to keep up the reading. We had more storms last night but haven't heard of much damage. It was raining when we went to sunrise services this morning.
Sat Apr 8th I attended a garden seminar with Pam Duthie of the Chicago area as the speaker. She has authored 'Continuous Bloom' & 'Continuous Color'. She spoke several yrs ago at ISU perennial Saturday event. I enjoyed her as much this time as last. Donna, are you familiar with her? The garden group i have traveled with the past few yrs are going to Chicago Botanical, Morton Arboretum, private gardens, theater, etc the middle of May for 4 days. I so want to go but I have that MG tour Jun 24th as well as a smaller tour in May. Unfortunately, I have a knee injury (torn lateral Meniscus) which the ortho surgeon says they do not repair at my age. I have had to give up walking 2-3 miles per day and my weight lifting class. It is constant pain but worse my knee is not stable. I have fallen and am fearful of breaking bones or hip. I have a hi tolerance of pain and can handle that when on my feet however I can't sleep. I am a side sleeper and the least painful sleep position is flat on my back with a pillow under my knee. He will do surgery to clean up the tear but will give me no guarantee of anything else. I will get a 2nd opinion when I have time. I couldn't have surgery till after the June tour.
Has anyone seen the Proven Winners St Augustine grass for sale at any of the mail order sites? We had it for the past 2 yrs at our greenhouse but didn't get it this year. It is a wonderful container plant. You southerns probably get a laugh out this! I can hear you Jim.
Ceres